Orange-Pistachio Wild Rice Salad
Ingredients For the Salad
- 2/3 cup brown rice
- 2/3 cup wild rice
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 Tablespoons chopped unsalted Pistachios
- 1 Orange
- 10 Large fresh basil leaves, sliced into ribbons
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
Ingredients for the Dressing
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine the brown rice, wild rice and broth in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to a slow simmer, and cook until all water is evaporated and the rice is fully cooked, 50 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- Toast the Pistachios in a small skillet over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes. Stir frequently and let cool.
- Grate the 1 teaspoon zest from orange ans set aside.
- Cut the top and bottom off the orange. Remove skin and separate orange into segments
- Add the orange segments, basil, onion, pistachios and orange to the cool rice and mix.
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together the oil, vinegar, orange juice, mustard, honey and salt. Pour over the rice mixture and toss.