Orange-Pistachio Wild Rice Salad
Ingredients For the Salad
2/3 cup brown rice
2/3 cup wild rice
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 Tablespoons chopped unsalted Pistachios
10 Large fresh basil leaves, sliced into ribbons
1/4 cup minced red onion
Ingredients for the Dressing
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tablespoon orange juice
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Combine the brown rice, wild rice and broth in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to a slow simmer, and cook until all water is evaporated and the rice is fully cooked, 50 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
2. Toast the Pistachios in a small skillet over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes. Stir frequently and let cool.
3. Grate the 1 teaspoon zest from orange ans set aside.
4. Cut the top and bottom off the orange. Remove skin and separate orange into segments
5. Add the orange segments, basil, onion, pistachios and orange to the cool rice and mix.
6. To make the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together the oil, vinegar, orange juice, mustard, honey and salt. Pour over the rice mixture and toss.